Thursday, October 12, 2017

What We’re Reading: Fall 2017


I’ve always been the type of reader that goes through cycles of feast or famine- I’ll churn through a book a week for a few months and then not pick up one for the next few months. After the Thanksgiving mission trip we went on, I was definitely in a feast period. I read FMC’s founders books “Go! You Are Sent” and “Our Family's Book of Acts” then on to “Kisses from Katie” and a really good one about Mother Theresa and at least 2 others from December-January.

In January we went to a Thursday night Bible Study that some friends hosted and I watched women talk about books they were reading and pass them on to each other. I decided then that I wanted to start a book club, never mind that I had never actually been to a book club before. Lol Sometimes you just have to dive in!

Our Washed With the Word (W3) book club kept my reading on track and was a huge blessing to have faith filled women over 1 Sunday afternoon each month! In honor of W3 I’m going to try my best to keep up my reading and I’ll share that with y’all here in addition to what we’re studying in formation.

Studies

Hebrews

My women’s Bible study group is reading Hebrews together on Tuesday nights. I finished reading the New Testament this year (yep, I’d never read it all before!) so it’s nice to have it fresh in my mind and to hear other’s perspectives.

Acts of the Apostles

Every Monday and Wednesday we meet with a small group to study Acts. Kent and I read this together in January so it’s also very fresh in our minds. Jonathan Kiehl teaches it and we love that on Mondays he pulls out PowerPoint and goes more into historical references and comparisons to the Gospels.

Mission of the Redeemer

Another great one I read prior to coming but it’s nice reading with everyone and hearing different reflections on it. Funny the difference in what I highlight a second time around. 😊

Vatican II Missionary Activity Documents

 ____________________

Personal Reading

The Gospel of Life (Evangelium Vitae) by Saint Pope John Paul II
Who Does He Say You Are? by Colleen C. Mitchell
The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis The Gospels
This past Sunday we were excited to meetup with some Charleston friends in Baton Rouge, LA and attended mass at the LSU campus church. The priest there blew us away. He was maybe 35 years old and had a terrific homily. He quoted parts of I Believe in Love: A Personal Retreat Based on the Teaching of St. Therese of Lisieux and Kent and I are both eager to read the book! Additionally we heard a talk about Fatima on Saturday and the woman mentioned Fatima in Lucia's Own Words. I'd love to learn more about Fatima!

No comments:

Post a Comment