Friday, August 18, 2017

You're a Good Good Father



When we arrived in Mexico in November 2016 we were greeted by Beaux, an eager new missionary who had been on bed rest for the last couple weeks and was excited to have new people to talk to. We, on the other hand, had just spent ~20 hours traveling, had been shown our rooms in a pueblo that's older than the US (which is awesome), were told all the rules, and then were ushered to a late night PB&J dinner. We were like deer in headlights with all the new info and sights and were less than equipped to handle Beaux's enthusiasm at that hour. Beaux told us a number of stories but the one that really stood out was how just before leaving for Mexico from Intake 2016 (the 3 month training in Louisiana that we're about to go to), he walked around the rental van and was bitten by a baby copperhead TWICE. And you know what he did?

This crazy man yelled, "Praise God!" TWICE in reaction to it!

I made up my mind in that moment that I wanted to avoid Beaux for the rest of the trip and probably never talk to him again after. And now I can hardly type that sentence without it cracking me up! We all had a good laugh about it in Haiti... Beaux and Alix Davis are our friends in Haiti who we just had the joy of visiting on a mission trip. Thankfully, we were put on their team while in Mexico and we were able to spend much more time around Beaux (and Alix and their sweet kiddos) after the shock of the first night passed. We now know that he's definitely crazy but only in the best way possible- crazy for Christ.
I've thought a lot about that night as my own faith has been challenged this past year. Could I ever get the point of praising God (and honestly mean it) after being bitten by a snake? 
Last week Jeremiah and some neighborhood kids were over running around as we worked to clean out rooms. The house was a mess and the game of tag was less than ideal right then. Jeremiah's leg met the sharp end of a piece of metal sticking out of a chair (which we had no idea was there). I definitely did not yell, "Praise God!" I yelled, "Everyone out of my house now!" LOL Jeremiah is incredibly strong and didn't cry a single tear except for one during the Novocaine shot. On the way to the doctors office we prayed for a quick wait time and for a good doctor. We had years ago not liked the doctor there and rarely ever went there because of it.

Praise God.

The doctor asked questions about how he got the cut and we explained the mess from moving and that lead to questions about where we're going. The doctor replied, "Oh well I was raised by Jesuit priests! I grew up at a boarding school." 

I can't make this stuff up. Only a Good Good Father can.

The doctor had traveled to all the locations we might end up at and told us his highlights about each of them. Then he had Kent hold Jeremiah's leg and showed Kent how to do stitches and how to remove them "in case we end up on a mountain top in Peru and have to use a needle." I sure hope I don't! But Praise God that we now have more knowledge to handle it than we ever would have had this not happened!
God, help me to praise you in every storm for the good good Father that You are. You are a caring Father working all things for the good of those who love You. Help me to trust in your plans, even when I don't understand them. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment